What is music therapy?
Music therapy was founded in Michigan State University in 1944, and then different branches of music therapy appeared in different regions or countries. A large number of research results support that music therapy is a clinically and evidence-based medicine proven treatment, which can be used to help people with various diseases / symptoms, such as depression, anxiety, drug abuse, autism, Alzheimer's disease, heart related diseases, and cancer / cancer. The implementation of music therapy combined with multidisciplinary knowledge and skills, targeted at the treatment objectives (including physiological, psychological, emotional, cognitive and behavioral aspects), using the corresponding music therapy interventions for psychological intervention or rehabilitation assistance, to help maintain / improve memory, reduce blood pressure, enhance the ability to cope with stress, and relieve stress. Music therapy is to heal patient mentally, unrelated to education on music knowledge, therefore patients receiving music therapy do not need to have music learning experience.
Benefits of music therapy in cancer diagnosis and treatment
According to the survey data, 20% - 52% of cancer patients experience obvious mental stress and psychological pain (SDT ≥ 4), and more than 30% of cancer patients have emotional complications and aggravate the degree of psychological pain. Psychological pain will not only affect the quality of life and mental state of patients, but also indirectly have a negative impact on the process of tumor diagnosis and treatment. Dimatteo et al. (2000) and bultz et al. (2005) found that patients with more severe psychological pain were more likely to give up treatment in the fourth year of onset than patients without obvious psychological pain; At the same time, patients may delay the treatment decision due to psychological distress, thus affecting the best treatment opportunity. Therefore, it is particularly important to find appropriate, non-invasive and easy to accept non drug psychological intervention measures to help cancer patients with moderate to severe psychological pain (SDT ≥ 4). In the United States, Austria, Germany and other countries, music therapy has been integrated into the medical system (such as cancer diagnosis and treatment process) to alleviate the psychological pain and psychological distress of patients, improve the physical and mental state, and improve the process of disease treatment. The new edition of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network guidelines (NCCN) combined with existing clinical research data shows that the benefits of cancer diagnosis and treatment combined with music therapy include:
● Relieve the psychological distress (anxiety, depression, grief, etc.) and trauma related or unrelated to the disease
● Adjust one's mood
● Improve coping ability
● Relieve mental stress
● Enable patients to relax in the process of experiencing stress events (such as cancer treatment)
● Religious / spiritual support
● Enhance the patient's sense of control or cognition of reality and self / others' recognition
● Promote social interaction
Physical / symptom related / disease diagnosis and treatment related
● Relieve pain
● Improve the instability of heart rate or respiratory rate
● Relief of discomfort / symptoms (e.g. nausea and vomiting)
● Improve sleep problems
● Adjuvant drug injection / surgery / radiotherapy / chemotherapy / gastroscopy / pain management and other processes
● Reduce cognitive distortions due to illness / aging
● Combined with rehabilitation therapy to promote the rehabilitation of patients in perceptual movement, verbal communication, executive ability and psychological reconstruction.
Service scope of music therapy
Service scope of the Department covers consulting, mental state screening, customized treatment, psychological support therapy for tumor related diseases, music therapy, science popularization and education, joint design and development of scientific research projects with clinical departments.
1. Individual music therapy and Group music therapy provide customized treatment for patients, mainly for psychological intervention or rehabilitation assistance
Scope of application: mental distress (anxiety, depression, depression, grief, etc.) and psychological trauma related to or unrelated to disease, emotional adjustment, mental stress relief, religious / spiritual support, enhanced sense of control or cognition of reality and recognition of self / others, promotion of social and communication, improvement of sleep problems, assistance of patients in recovery process, etc
Applicable scenario: treatment room / patient ward
Applicable frequency: 1-2 times / week
2. Music guides mindfulness training to guide patients to feel their hearts and enter meditation state with language and music, and gradually alleviate and improve the patients' emotions
Application: adjust emotion, improve coping ability, relieve mental stress, mental support, enhance control or cognition of reality, relieve pain, improve heart rate or respiratory instability, relieve discomfort / symptoms (such as nausea and vomiting), etc
Applicable scene: before and after operation / before radiotherapy / before chemotherapy / in hospital / before gastroscopy, etc
Applicable frequency: on demand
3. music intervention assisted therapy is designed to meet the needs and treatment objectives of patients to listen to music for intervention
Application: adjust emotion, improve coping ability, relieve mental stress, mental support, relieve pain, improve heart rate or respiratory instability, relieve discomfort / symptoms (such as nausea and vomiting), etc
Applicable time: routine diagnosis and treatment process / hospitalization period / music treatment course
Applicable frequency: on demand
*Music knowledge is not the threshold of music therapy. Visitors / patients do not need to have music skills, and they do not need to understand musical instruments, singing or Solfeggio and music theory.
Music therapy process
The music therapy process includes 1.evaluation 2. Treatment 3. Stage evaluation 4. follow-up after the next stage of treatment or follow-up. The process of different treatment projects will be adjusted accordingly according to the treatment needs and specific scenarios.
*There are three kinds of comprehensive services, including nutrition therapy, music therapy and psychotherapy. All services are led by professional therapists. For more service information, you may consult the customer service center or your attending physician.